Welcome to Teachthemright.me!
How did you get here?
Are you feeling a bit hopeless?
The thought of homeschooling seems too daunting I know. You think you can’t afford to be home or perhaps you are going to be afraid that your kids will grow up with no social skills. How would your family and friends feel about you pulling your kids out of school? Would the government come after you? How could you teach math? What if you don’t have them prepared for college?
Oh yes, we have been there. Don’t believe me, let me tell you a little about us to see if I can make you understand.
Who are we?
- A family of six, with four children that have always been homeschooled. Our oldest student did not register for a school until he was 14, when he was beginning a special program that would enable him to graduate at 16 with his high school diploma and maybe even Associate degree. Did we make it? More on that later.
My wife stays at home and we are a single-income family.
What do we consider ourselves?
Well, if you want to put a label on us, pick one:
- Neither Conservative nor Liberal
- Minivan driving
Where do you homeschool?
- We have homeschooled in our home all of these years. We began living in a major urban (i.e. Black) city, later moved to a suburb of that city, then moved many states away to a much smaller city that’s rather isolated.
How long have you been homeschooling?
- Officially since 2004, but you will learn, I believe in “Always Be Teaching”, so they have “Always Been Learning”!
How have you made it income wise?
- Honestly, I will not pull punches with you. I’m in student loan debt to my eyeballs and my first full-time job started me under $30,000 per year with three children. We have hard times like Run-DMC for many years, but by God’s grace, we have always survived. That said, I haven’t bought a new car since 2003! So notice the connection?
Why did you decide to homeschool?
- You will hear our journey soon enough, but let me tell you that once we started, we never looked back. We wanted:
- ) Godly children with a biblical worldview
- ) Children that would be prepared to take on the world, have knowledge of who they are and real history, and not be taught to just go work on the assembly line. Really, what did you think Government school was made for? Don’t believe me, go look it up!
- ) Children that would not be influenced by the world, but would see it as their responsibility to influence the world…take that you “socialization” folks.
- ) Many more reasons you will find as you follow this blog.
So are you still wondering if you can do this? To borrow a familiar phrase, “Yes you can!”
Please email us any questions you may have at: firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can deliver to you the content that matters most.
Oh yes, I’m not the only one contributing to this blog and podcast. You’re going to hear from the students themselves, Reggie 17 and Lexi 15. I want you to hear the good and the bad straight from them!
So are you ready? If you are tired of your kids basically getting government daycare, being marginalized in the classroom, being “labeled” with the learning disability of the year, arrested, bullied, not learning real history, sex suggestions instead of education, and want them out of the school-to-prison pipeline?
You are in the right spot to learn how to bring them home, and we are so glad you took the time to check us out!
Devin (aka Dad, Principal, Leader of My Tribe)